Invisalign is a relatively new approach to orthodontic treatment. It’s gained in popularity because the clear plastic trays are virtually invisible and don’t detract from your appearance. The trays are also more comfortable than traditional metal brackets.
The first thing that comes to mind when someone mentions orthodontic work is traditional braces, with their silver metal brackets and colorful rubber bands. The idea of metal brackets can be off-putting to many, however, especially adults who deal with the public or whose jobs depends upon looking their best. For people who prefer to avoid “metal mouth,” Invisalign offers a variety of advantages, including:
- The smooth plastic is more comfortable than brackets
- There are no wires to break
- Trays can be removed for short periods
- Trays are not immediately noticeable to others
- It’s easier to see the progress of your treatment
Invisalign treatment doesn’t necessarily take more or less time than traditional orthodontic treatment; length and cost of treatment vary depending upon your individual situation. Your orthodontist can provide detailed information about your treatment options.
Is Invisalign a
Good Choice for Me?
Invisalign can successfully correct most alignment issues, although in some cases traditional braces will be more effective. Your orthodontist will evaluate your bite and determine the best approach for treatment. During your consultation, you’ll discuss all the options and which will be best both for your teeth and for your lifestyle.
In addition, you’ll have to be sure you’re willing to take good care of both your teeth and your aligner trays. For the best possible results, you should:
- Wear the trays at least 22 hours every day, including at night
- Avoid hot foods and beverages that could warp the trays
- Avoid foods and beverages that could stain the trays
- Clean the trays thoroughly every day
- Wear a retainer after your treatment is complete
Your orthodontist will provide instructions regarding how to ensure your treatment is successful. Contact our office at Boerne Orthodontics & Pediatric Dentistry today to schedule a consultation.